Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:38:30 +0200

> It feels surprising that if I rename something to "/foo/" my file
> suddenly gets moved into a new directory "foo", though.  Maybe it's
> just me.  Does this have some precedent elsewhere?  Is this something
> users would expect?

Consider that this only triggers if "foo" doesn't exist yet.  In such a
case, filename completion won't suggest anything, especially no trailing
/.  So it doesn't feel very likely that someone wants to rename a file
or directory ~/bar to "foo" and then specifies ~/foo/ (with trailing
slash) as the target by accident.

Bye,
Tassilo