Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 10:32:27 +0200

Hi Lars,

>> Lars, note that we are not talking about a specific command like
>> `dired-do-rename'.  The change is to `dired-do-create-files' which is a
>> workhorse for many dired commands that need some target directory or
>> file, e.g., renaming/moving, copying, symlinking, etc.
>
> Right.  Then it's more invasive than I thought...
>
> Re-skimming this thread, the suggestion is that if the destination
> directory ends with a slash, then that directory is created, and the
> contents of the source is copied (etc) over to it?

Right.  And the creation of a target directory is nothing new but
already exists if `dired-create-destination-dirs' is non-nil.  For
example, when you now (without the patch) copy file.txt to bar/foo where
bar/ doesn't exist, you'll be queried if dired should create it if the
variable is 'ask.  If it is 'always, dired just creates it.  Finally
bar/foo is a normal file, i.e., a copy of file.txt.

With Rudi's patch, it's exactly the same when the destination is
foo/bar.  But if you specify foo/bar/ as destination, dired will create
foo/bar/ (maybe after asking as controlled by
`dired-create-destination-dirs') and you get foo/bar/file.txt.

So basically the trailing / is an indicator to tell dired that the
target must be a directory, and then the `dired-create-destination-dirs'
semantics can apply.  Without the /, dired cannot know.

Therefore, the feature seems very natural to me.  I'm fine with guarding
it with a defcustom if you all feel that many users would type a
trailing / out of habit.  But since the change only triggers if the
directory does not exist yet, the only scenario where it can bite you is
when renaming or copying a directory to a new one and you specify the
new one with trailing / (which completion will never do because there's
no completion for non-existing directories).

> Isn't that just about the opposite of the syntax in rsync?

Sorry, I don't have a lot of rsync experience.  And to me, it's not
really important that dired conforms to rsync conventions.  Instead it
should conform to its own documentation we already have right now.

dired-create-destination-dirs is a variable defined in ‘dired-aux.el’.

Its value is ‘ask’
Original value was nil

Whether Dired should create destination dirs when copying/removing files.
If nil, don’t create them.
If ‘always’, create them without asking.
If ‘ask’, ask for user confirmation.

So when I copy/rename something to the non-existent bar/foo/baz/ where
it's absolutely clear that it's a directory, why on earth should dired
not create it?  I would argue that with Rudi's patch the behavior
conforms more to the current docs than the non-patched dired.

Bye,
Tassilo