Re: ELPA: New package: nano-theme

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: ELPA: New package: nano-theme
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 09:59:19 +0000

> "Nicolas P. Rougier (inria)" <nicolas.rougier@inria.fr> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to submit a new package to ELPA which is a theme based on
>> Material colors (https://material.io/) for the light version and Nord
>> colors (https://www.nordtheme.com/) for the dark version. The theme
>> itself is made of (only) 6 different faces and the rationale is here:
>> https://arxiv.org/abs/2008.06030
>>
>> The theme is hosted at https://github.com/rougier/nano-theme and the
>> README displays what it looks like. Note that the theme exploits face
>> inheritance a lot and Eli explained me that it might degrade
>> performances. I don't know if this needs to be fixed.
>
> I see that a lot of faces inherit from nano-default, nano-strong,
> nano-faded, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to inherit from built-in
> faces and then let default, bold, shadow, etc. inherit from these faces.
>
> Furthermore, I wonder why you define the commands nano-light and
> nano-dark, instead of two themes, nano-light and nano-dark (along the
> same lines of what modus-themes currently does). You could also turn
> nano-setup into a custom theme, so that the user can easily enable and
> disable it.

I see nano-theme was added despite still providing functions for themes,
instead of using customize (and a few other points I raised). Have I
missed an explanation as to why this decision was made? Did it turn out
to not be possible? It seems regrettable to provide a theme on ELPA that
evades the conventional theme infrastructure, especially considering
that ELPA currently doesn't provide that many themes to begin with.

--
        Philip Kaludercic