Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 11:53:39 +0300

> Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 20:44:55 +1300
> From: Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz>
> Cc: acm@muc.de, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 2021-10-02 19:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > There's a huge difference between breaking literal searches for
> > symbols by text-searching tools, and breaking basic Emacs commands
> > because the name the user sees and types is not known to Emacs.
>
> But shorthands does *both* of those things.
>
> The name the user sees is "s-foo".
>
> The name known to Emacs is "string-library-foo" (or whatever).
>
> The user types "C-h o s-foo RET" and Emacs says "no match".

If this is correct (I didn't try), please report it as a bug.  The
difference is that this bug can be solved, because Lisp knows about
the shorthand, whereas display-time features cannot be fixed as
easily.

> I'm genuinely confused that you're disapproving of a feature that
> people must opt into, on the basis of a problem which already happens
> with the approved feature that people can't opt out of.

Existing problems in approved features are bugs that need to be
solved.  They are not reasons for removing the feature.

I explained the reasons for disapproving renaming that is limited to
display; if you still disagree, let's agree to disagree.