emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 14:41:33 +0200

A frustrating thing that seems to happen sometimes is that I'm editing a
.el file that's going to be dumped -- but this doesn't reliably lead to
the .pdmp file being rebuilt.  (I'm not sure why this doesn't happen.)

Even more frustratingly, deleting the .pdmp file just leads to "make"
not working at all.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?