Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 22:20:39 +0300

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
> Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:56:56 -0400
>
> It turns out that those *.elc files are not in the tarball because of my own
> stupid mistake.  When I ran make-dist, I got a warning about that.  I didn't
> want to think about it, so I reran make-dist with --no-check rather than
> fixing
> the problem.

Could it be that the *.elc files were not in the tarball because the
build failed at some point?

There's still a bug in src/Makefile.in: Make could try building
native-lisp even though it exists, because the rules that create that
directory don't tell Make the directory is created as a side effect.
If and when Make tries to rune the ../native-lisp: rule, it will fail
because mkdir will fail.

One way of solving this is to make the recipe test whether the
directory exists, and if so, do nothing, because we don't want to run
native-compilations if that directory exists.  Hmm...