Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Raw" string literals for elisp
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 18:29:12 -0400

  > > Indeed, using any non-ASCII characters in source files can have some
  > > problems, which are very easy to avoid.  We should not give syntactic
  > > roles to them.

  > We should be improving the terminal then, rather than constraining
  > everything to the lowest common denominator.

That would be a useful thing to do.  The code you would need to
improve is in Linux.  If and when it handles more of Unicode, and once
that change has had time to get into the system versions people use,
Emacs could take advantage of it.

  >  Limiting Emacs source code to English and ASCII will ultimately
  > only limit the acceptibility of Emacs rather than improve it.

The GNU Coding Standards says that code should be in English, and
comments too.  See nodes Names and Comments.  This is because Emacs is
the worldwide language of programming.  Using any other language for
identifiers and comments makes the program incomprehensible for most
of the world.

It's ok to include non-ASCII characters in strings and comments in
special circumstances, when you're talking about a particular
characters or operating on them.