Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 14:43:57 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: kbrown@cornell.edu, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 19:38:43 +0000
>
> - I reduced the reproducer searching manually by bissection in the file
>   for the function causing the ICE

So the problem caused an ICE in libgccjit, is that right?  Is that
always so when the error message says

  Lisp error: (native-compiler-error ...

?  Because the error message then said "(invalid-read-syntax...",
which sounds like a message coming from Emacs, not from the compiler.

Also, we probably want to avoid the ellipsis in batch invocations,
because (unlike in interactive usage) they cannot be expanded.  Is
that something that comp.el controls, or is that a general "feature"
of Emacs?

> - I read carefully the stack trace of the compiler (after having posted
>   it here :/ ) and saw that the reader error was not on file being
>   compiled but on the file that we use to drive the native compilation
>   happening in the subprocess (the one generated by `comp-final').

How did you see that?  The backtrace says:

> akrl@xxx:~/emacs2/lisp$ ../src/emacs -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp
> --eval '(setq load-prefer-newer t)' -l comp -f byte-compile-refresh-preloaded
> --eva\
> l '(batch-native-compile t)' disp-table.el
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (native-compiler-error "disp-table.el"
> "Debugger entered--Lisp error: (end-of-file \"/tmp/e...")
>   signal(native-compiler-error ("disp-table.el" "Debugger entered--Lisp
> error: (end-of-file \"/tmp/e..."))
>   comp--native-compile("disp-table.el")
>   batch-native-compile(t)
>   command-line-1(("--eval" "(setq load-prefer-newer t)" "-l" "comp" "-f"
> "byte-compile-refresh-preloaded" "--eval" "(batch-native-compile t)"
> "disp-table.el"))
>   command-line()
>   normal-top-level()

So it only says "end of file", and the file name is not spelled out.

And btw, this backtrace is different from what I saw originally: that
one didn't say "end of file".  Why this one did?

> - I looked into one of these files and I saw clearly in the limple dump
>   a constant vector that is truncated (not sure why maybe we have to
>   bind some other print-something var in comp final?).

I'd like to understand why stuff gets truncated in that case.

Thanks.