Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 14:47:41 +0300

> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 22:40:55 +0300
>
> On 2021-10-04, 21:11 +0200, Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> wrote:

> > [... 34 lines elided]
> >
> >> This must be because in Org 9.5 those constructs inherit from the
> >> 'variable-pitch' face.  The idea behind that is to make the buffer
> >> preserve spacing sensitive elements while using M-x variable-pitch-mode.
> >>
> >> Please try using something like this:
> >>
> >>     (set-face-attribute 'fixed-pitch nil
> >>                         :family (face-attribute 'default :family)
> >>                         :height (face-attribute 'default :height))
> >>

> > Just for completeness,
> >
> > It seems I need those settings only on Windows (10 pro 64) and macOS
> > (10.13.6) because on GNU/Linux (with Monospaced font) I do not see the
> > issue: those fields ("#+language:", "#+options:" etc.) are rendered
> > with the same font! On Windows and macOS, instead, they are rendered
> > differently (and ugly!).. On Windows I tried other fonts (Lucida
> > Console, Cascadia Code) but with the same ugly results. On macOS the
> > font is 'Monaco'.
>
> That may then be due to the default definition of the 'fixed-pitch'
> face, which does not find a decent fallback font on all platforms.
> Perhaps something like the following specification would be better, but
> I have no means of testing it and do not know what the default/generic
> monospaced fonts are on other platforms:
>
>     (defface fixed-pitch
>       '((((type w32))
>          :family "What is the default on MS-Windows?")
>         (((type ns))
>          :family "What is the default on GNUstep or Macintosh Cocoa?")
>         (t :family "Monospace"))
>       "The basic fixed-pitch face."
>       :group 'basic-faces)

I'd like to understand the problem better before we consider solutions
in this area.  What's the problem with "Monospace" on MS-Windows?
which font does that actually use?  ("C-u C-x =" on the text in
question should report the font Emacs uses to display that text.)

In general, "Monospace" is supposed to be different from the default
face's font, so "What is the default on MS-Windows" doesn't
necessarily have a useful answer for this purpose.