Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 09:05:29 +0300

On 06.10.2021 08:18, Manuel Uberti wrote:
On 05/10/21 21:47, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
It kind of got lost among other issues, sorry. That's doubly easy to do with emacs-devel threads, so if you could use Debbugs for feature requests in the future, that would be great.

Do you want me to move the discussion on Debbugs?

No, it's fine here now.

I think ignoring directories such as .git would be good to speed up the command and make the candidate list cleaner.

OK, see the updated patch.

find's performance is really sensitive to the number of ignore entries it has to process, so if the difference in performance between two invocation types gets too noticeable, while they return approximately the same number of entries, customizing vc-directory-exclusion-list to have fewer entries can help.

But in the previous iteration of this thread you also referred to Helm's 'C-c i' behavior. Does it only list the ignored files?

'C-c i' in helm-ls-git toggles the '-o' switch for git ls-files, so it does not include the listing of the .git directory in its result.

All right, this does seem to include all files, not just the ignored ones.

In any case, we could make 'C-u project-find-file' have this behavior: listing only ignored files instead. And maybe not all of them: skipping the contents of .git/, .bzr/, etc, still sounds useful. The upside is possibly having a lot fewer files to choose from.

I agree with you.

Which of the two behaviors would you like it to have, though?