Re: 2a73673 Change how thread-first/thread-last indent the first argumen

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 2a73673 Change how thread-first/thread-last indent the first argument
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 11:08:49 +0200

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Another issue is that, since older Emacs versions persist in the wild
> for years, this will result in code changing indentation between Emacs
> versions: if someone submits a patch based on Emacs <28, it will have
> one indentation, and if the maintainer uses Emacs 28, it will have
> another indentation.

That's true of any indentation change, but we do make those, anyway.  In
Emacs 28 we changed how

'( foo
   bar)

is indented, and in Emacs 29 we've changed how cl-flet is indented.

(The first change probably didn't entail any churn because nobody wrote
something like that before, but the cl-flet one does introduce churn.)

So the question is whether the old indentation was a bug or not, and it
looks like a bug to me.  That is, the only documentation of the form we
have indents the way it does now (after the change).  On the other hand,
the documentation could be incorrect.

I don't really have much of an opinion here -- but the old indentation
looks like a bug to me.  If the thread-first/last community disagrees
with this, I'm open to reverting the patch.  Does anybody else have an
opinion here?