Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 10:01:10 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: acm@muc.de, eliz@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 16:54:17 -0400
>
>   > Ah, I think I understand what you are getting at. You are asking why raw
>   > strings should use 「」?
>
> On a Linux console, that shows as two diamonds followed by a question mark.
> That's no good for special syntactic delimiters.
>
> Indeed, to use non-ASCII characters for such jobs would be a radical
> change.  In things like this, we must play safe.

We can use the display-table feature to avoid the problems with such
characters.  We already do that with displaying doc strings in *Help*
buffers, and when displaying Info manuals: we display those characters
as their ASCII equivalents or equivalent ASCII strings.  Of course,
for this to work, Someone(TM) should identify the problematic
characters and program Emacs to set up the display tables accordingly.

The point to take from this discussion, IMO, is that we should
carefully consider introduction of each such character, and arrange
for the text using them to be legible on all supported display types.
We cannot just willy-nilly add them to our sources and documentation
and assume they will always be displayed correctly.