RE: [External] : Re: Display of em dashes in our documentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Display of em dashes in our documentation
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:26:03 +0000

> I believe the usual US English style is not to leave
> whitespace around  em dash.

I already spoke to this, back in the original
thread, "character sets as they relate to “Raw”
string literals for elisp".  Thin space OR no
space is what's used, in typsetting.

But we're not typesetting, here.  TexInfo can
produce typeset print-ready output also, but
this is about on-screen use of Info in Emacs.

And for fixed-width fonts it makes sense to use
a (normal, full) space char.  It makes no sense
to not show any space for a fixed-width font,
especially since the em dash is itself the same
width as other chars.  There's zero difference
in width between en and em dash in a fixed-width
font, AFAICT.

By default, Info uses a fixed-width font.

Would it hurt for our manuals to just use a
regular  space to surround em dash (which, as
you say, is not typical for typeset text with
variable-width fonts)?  I don't think so.

And given that the default is fixed-width, and
most users will not customize the Info fonts to
use variable-width, surrounding em dash with a
regular space char in Emacs Info just makes sense.
IMHO.