Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:14:59 +0300

On 13.10.2021 23:00, Tim Cross wrote:
IFF this is the case, having to start a whole second Emacs instance as a
daemon, just to edit elisp with emacs seems like a significant resource
sink with no real benefit other than adding additional failure points.

FWIW, 'emacs -Q' has a much faster start than most of language servers out there. So it shouldn't be a problem. What *would* -- is that most of the language smarts we have implemented for Elisp relies on edited code being loaded in the current session. Which seems hard to synchronize to the external Emacs instance.

But nothing should stop us from adding an additional "transport" for the LSP protocol -- e.g. an in-process one.

It's still probably not a good idea (basing all our IDE features solely on the LSP protocol). See my first message in this thread.