Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:39:47 +0300

> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00:25 +1100
> Cc: Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I doubt very mush that anyone will ever bother to implement an LSP
> language server for elisp. There simply isn't sufficient benefit given
> the work required.

The main benefit, AFAIU, is to use the system's execution units more
efficiently by off-loading some of the CPU-intensive work to another
Emacs process.

> Even less likely for non-Emacs users if to have an
> elisp LSP language server you need to install Emacs to provide the
> daemon, which will be slow to start and resource hungry compared to
> other LSP language servers.

I'm surprised.  How large are memory footprints of "other LSP language
servers", and how large do you envision the footprint of Emacs-based
server to be?  Emacs has ceased to be THE memory hog long ago, it's
actually quite modest in its memory requirements nowadays.  So I don't
see why this particular job would require Emacs to become such a
memory-hungry application.

> I think it also largely misses the point -
> the idea of LSP is to provide a small, fast and easy to install basic
> service which can assist an editor to provide intelligent completion,
> linting, syntax highlighting etc for a language. All of the other LSP
> language servers I've used are small, fast to start and easy to install.
> Emacs as a daemon is none of these.

I think the time to start is not very important, since it happens
once.