Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?

From: dick
Subject: Re: Why does this thread code crash my emacs?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 06:53:17 -0400

> But the facts are the OP's recipe proves that a non-main thread _can_ wait
> for input.

It does not.  Try typing into the *Hanoi* buffer.  It does not stop the Hanoi
as it would if it were running in main thread.  While noble, it's folly to
insist treating main and non-main the same as in bug#36609, which incidentally
still causes deadlocks even after your fix with atomics (I've reverted your
fix in favor of mine in my fork).

> If you do care, why does it matter what you did in your private fork

Narcissism of course.  Why does anyone do anything for no pay?  The more
serious answer is I am using emacs-devel as a recruiting mechanism to show
what's possible under a maintainer who:

1. much prefers a PR-based workflow with automated CI, superior changeset
management, conversation visibility, commit and line citation, but equally
poor search

2. is unafraid to address problems at their root, quite distinct from the
current committee's timorous "a stopgap patch here and a stopgap there"
approach.