Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building a release tarball generates trampoline files in eln-cache
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:56:20 +0300

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: kbrown@cornell.edu, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 20:15:09 +0000
>
> > Now the subr--trampoline*.eln files are in the right place, but this
> > problem:
> >
> >>   lisp/emacs-lisp/seq.elc: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void:
> >> gv-setter
> >>   lisp/term/xterm.elc: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void: t
> >
> > still exists.  So something else is amiss here.
>
> Okay, I'll have a look into this I guess Monday.

Thanks.

> > Btw, why are these subr--trampoline*.eln files get generated when
> > building the tarball, but not when building from Git "normally", where
> > the *.eln files are produced by batch-byte+native-compile?  Because I
> > don't see any such files that correspond to the build from Git
> > anywhere on my system.
>
> The obvious answer is that something is either redefining or advising
> those primitives.  If it's important to know what and where we can
> investigate it, it should not be extremely difficult.

I'm curious why 2 methods of native compilation that are supposed to
produce identical results, in reality produce slightly different
results: one produces these trampoline files, the other doesn't.  It
could be that there's some hidden issue here, perhaps even related to
those errors at startup described above.