Re: Porting my conf to 28.0.60 (MS Windows + native-comp)

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Porting my conf to 28.0.60 (MS Windows + native-comp)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:51:02 -0500

Hi again Eli, all.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 2:20 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> > Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:50:08 -0500
> >
> > Otherwise, my only concern has to do with "too many pipes" errors when
> > I remove my elpa folder and force Emacs to re-fetch all of my
> > "non-core" packages when it next starts-up. I would be grateful indeed
> > for any additional* workarounds the team could suggest for that issue.
>
> Does it happen only with Emacs 28, or with previous versions as well?

I wasn't able to reproduce under Emacs 27.1

> If this doesn't help, please submit a bug report with all the details.

Feel free to let me know otherwise, but I'm planning to wait for
Andras' reply to your note several hours back before I open a bug
report.  It seems entirely possible I've not used the correct settings
in attempting to throttle this.  Moreover, I forgot to commit the
changes to my .emacs, where I'd stuffed this bit:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp

;; tweaks for native-comp
;;
https://ddavis.io/posts/emacs-native-centos7/#deferred-and-asynchronous-compilation
;; via https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-async/issues/96
;; helper boolean I use here and later in my init.el

(defconst my-using-native-comp
  (and (not (version< emacs-version "28.0"))
       (fboundp 'native-comp-available-p)
       (native-comp-available-p))
  "Indicates we are using native compilation (via libgccjit).")

(when my-using-native-comp
  (message "Native compilation is avialable; throttling")
  (setq native-comp-deferred-compilation t)
  (setq native-comp-async-query-on-exit t)
  (setq native-comp-async-jobs-number 4)
  (setq native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors nil))

#+END_SRC

My .emacs is now updated, here:
https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/dotfiles/commit/0c88634b903393ec4f64fb250a4bee62c47003f9