Re: Indentation of def*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Indentation of def*
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 02:47:01 -0400

  > > That is, any function or macro that has a name that starts with "def" is
  > > indented similarly to a `defun' (etc).

  > I've now removed this heuristic in Emacs 29.

Please keep the heuristic.  It is still useful.

If file A uses a deffoober construct defined in file B, and you visit
file A with file B not loaded, the heuristic will make the uses of
deffoober indent properly.

The idea of this was that if you define something whose name starts with `def',
it should be a defining construct.  If people don't follow that convention,
that's a mistake.

It's a minor mistake, but still, if calls to a function which violates
that convention don't get indented right, the solution is to name it
differently.

Giving those macros explicit indentation properties is ok.  With that
done, the heuristic is no longer needed when their definitions are loaded.

But I think we should still use the heuristic for any def... construct
whose definition is not currenly loaded.