Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:48:00 +1100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 22.10.2021 22:59, Tim Cross wrote:
>> but rather a well designed free javascript library which would
>> facilitate the development of web UIs that would allow sites like
>> savannah.gnu.org to have an interface as functional and modern looking
>> as github using free software. I'm sure more people would be just as
>> happy to use savannah for their project hosting if it didn't look and
>> feel like being beamed back to 1999 every time you used the site. Such a
>> library could even be designed and developed with a focus which makes
>> integration with other free software projects even easier, further
>> increasing the likelihood of free software being used/preferred in
>> modern web environments.
>
> JS frameworks, CSS frameworks and libraries, collections of components and
> icons, modern-looking and Free, all are available.
>
> What is missing are people who are familiar with such tools that are, somehow,
> interested in improving Savannah.

To a point, that is very true. However, assembling a full stack
framework where all the components are free and work well together is
not as straight-forward as it may seem. Considerable knowledge and
experience is required. If a defined free framework existed, then the
search for someone to update savannah would be more likely to succeed
because all you would then need is someone with the necessary drive and
knowledge of JS. More generally, someone wanting to create a new site
could just use the framework and have confidence that all the components
are free - so much broader benefit than just savannah.