Re: Entering emojis

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:36:44 +0200

    >> I'm surprised to learn that I have to say:
    >>
    >> (set-fontset-font t 'emoji
    >> '("Apple Color Emoji" . "iso10646-1") nil 'prepend)
    >>
    >> Is that correct?

    Eli> Not sure, because I think other users of macOS said they get this
    Eli> automatically.  Is this in "emacs -Q"?  (Once again, a detailed bug
    Eli> report is sorely needed.)

They do? When using one of the other ports, maybe.

    >> Why can't we just do that automatically?

    Eli> I don't know why the macOS font backend doesn't find this font in your
    Eli> case, it's something that should be investigated.

I have a vague memory that thereʼs code in the macOS font backend that
will only allow color fonts if explicitly requested, and there being a
good reason for it. Iʼll trawl through my archives.

    >> Also, and I'm sorry in advance, but can we please change the text to
    >> something understandable?

I understand it perfectly :-)

    >> ** New character script 'emoji' has been created.
    >> Various blocks of codepoints have been split out of the 'symbol'
    >> script into their own 'emoji' script to allow easier specification of
    >> their treatment.  Which codepoints are treated as emoji is derived
    >> from the Unicode specifications.
    >>
    >> Uh, what?  I have no idea what practical difference any of the words in
    >> the above would make.  Blocks of codepoints?  What is a 'symbol' script?
    >> Am I a horrible programmer and human being if I don't know what any of
    >> this means?

You'll be telling me next you've not read tr-51 even once.

    Eli> Frankly, I think the level of sarcasm here is a bit overboard.  The
    Eli> issue is indeed highly technical, and if one pretends not to know what
    Eli> Emoji are, nor how their support before Emacs 28 was lacking, and if
    Eli> you never tried to customize your fontsets to support Emoji (or any
    Eli> other character) better, then yes, it's easy to conclude that the
    Eli> above is useless.

This is why Eli is the maintainer: he can express these things clearly
and without rancour (I tend to fail at the latter portion, and end up
having to delete what Iʼve written, which I did several times in this
reply)

    Eli> Anyway, I tried to clarify that entry as best I could, I hope it's an
    Eli> improvement.

LGTM

If I were to nitpick, Iʼd drop this hunk:

+where "My New Emoji Font" should be replaced by the actual name of the
+font you want to use.

because to me thatʼs obvious, but itʼs a minor point.

Robert