Re: Indentation of def*

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Indentation of def*
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:40:28 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The fix would be to make indentation understand
> the structure of a binding list.
> That might be nontrivial work, but it would make a bigger
> improvement in the indentation.

It would indeed, and if somebody could fix that, it'd be great.
Meanwhile, the removal of the heuristic makes a swathe of let bindings
indent correctly now.

>   > The introduction of the `with-*' macros, added three decades ago without
>   > any such heuristic, shows that these heuristics aren't necessary (or
>   > useful).
>
> It does show something.  I think it shows that if we introduce a
> category of macros without any special heuristic for them, the absence
> won't draw much in the way of complaints.

This was in response to your claim that the heuristic is necessary
because otherwise the code won't indent correctly before you've loaded
the macro definition.

The `with-*' experience shows that this isn't a problem in practice.
People that edit code will load the code first.