Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: joakim
Subject: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:55:27 +0200

Hello,

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to build emacs in my distro,
Fedora(Ok, I havent managed to build emacs using distro dependencies for
a long time)

What are the alternatives?

One can use for example:
- Guix
- Docker
- Flatpak

I have tried guix and docker but not yet flatpak.

These are nice because you can pin the dependency versions, to make sure
you have a reproducible build environment.

These all have the drawback that they are inconvenient when making local
modifications to the emacs source, at least for me. Way back in the days
when my original build environment worked, I automatically merged some
branches and applied local patchs with stgit, and its these kind of
things I've found awkward with the above mentioned containerized build
systems.

How are the emacs developers managing this?

Regards,

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se