Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 23:49:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Why not? it will at least tell the user the font doesn't support
> that.  More importantly, it will allow the user to choose a sequence
> even if his/her Emacs cannot display it, because those of the
> addressees (assuming this is in an email message, for example) could.

But this is in the graphical display -- the user has no way of knowing
what they're entering (it's just the glyph, not the name).

The other interface (the text-based one) lists all glyphs, even the ones
that Emacs can't display, so that'd be the way to insert such emojis.

> And as a nice bonus, it makes the code much faster.

I've poked at the problem some more, and it seems like
`char-displayable-p' is really fast on characters it can actually
display, but slow on characters it doesn't know about?  Perhaps this
makes it trigger loading more fonts or something?  (I haven't actually
read the code yet, just done some testing.)  If this is the case, is
there a way to say "don't try to load anything, but just see if you have
the glyph in the current set"?

> So I'd say it's a net win.  But if you are still unconvinced, how
> about a user option to control whether undisplay-able emoji sequences
> are filtered out?

I don't think it's necessary, but if people request it, I don't object
to adding it.  (But I don't think anybody will.  🙃)