Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:29:39 +1100

joakim@verona.se writes:

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

From: joakim@verona.se
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:55:27 +0200

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to build emacs in my distro, Fedora(Ok, I havent managed to build emacs using distro dependencies for
a long time)

Why? what are the difficulties?

In my case one of the problems that started the downward spiral was the versions shipped of gnutls in
fedora which  didnt work with emacs.

The separate aproach of building all the dependencies emacs need in a
separate build environment does work, like the Guix aproach.

I could probably convince guix to do what I want, but guix is also fiddly. I was just wondering if somebody else had a solution for a
reproducible development environment for emacs.

Maybe I'm the only one facing these difficulties, that's fine I guess.

I was trying to build emacs on a debian + guix system today. The debian is bare minimum, and guix is used as the main package manager.

Without `guix shell`, I got stuck at problem with gnutls:

configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
     gnutls
Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?

The version of gnutls installed by guix in the system is 3.6.15.

With `guix shell --development emacs`, gnutls wasn't a problem, but I got stuck at segfault at bootstrap-emacs.pdmp:

make[1]: *** [Makefile:858: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Segmentation fault
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/foo/source/emacs/src'
make: *** [Makefile:450: src] Error 2

On an Arch system where I used to be able to build emacs, it doesn't build either, and the error is about Recursive load in international/mule-cmds.el. I haven't looked into this error because it is a slow system and I'd rather build emacs on the debian + guix system.

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>