Re: Alternatives for relilternatives for reliable build environments for

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Alternatives for relilternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:56:37 +1100

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> I create a VM with Ubuntu20.04 in VirtualBox and build inside. I have some
> additional "magic" to inject the build configuration into
> the VM and that includes a script to actually build emacs, package it as a
> .deb and copy that to the host once successfully
> generated.
>
> For OSX, I have a script and build everything on an external disc I can plug
> into my different Macs to install the generated .app on
> them

I do something very similar, but use kvm/qemu rather than virtualBox.
The virt-manager program makes this trivial to do and means you can
avoid using an Oracle product! The virt-manager program is included in
most GNU Linux distros. Setting up a basic VM is just as easy as
virtualBox. Setting things up to do bridge rather than NAT networks is
slightly more work, but once you have things setup on the host, guest
configuration is easy. However, often, all I need is NAT based
networking anyway.