Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:01:21 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:30:52 +0200
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> >     (char-displayable-p char)))
>
> The thing that takes time is way down in
>
> fontset_find_font (Lisp_Object fontset, int c, struct face *face,
>
> This bit:
>
>         /* Find a font best-matching with the spec without checking
>            the support of the character C.  That checking is costly,
>            and even without the checking, the found font supports C
>            in high possibility.  */
>         font_entity = font_find_for_lface (f, face->lface,
>                                            FONT_DEF_SPEC (font_def), -1);
>         if (NILP (font_entity))
>           {
>             /* Record that no font matches the spec.  */
>             RFONT_DEF_SET_FACE (rfont_def, -1);
>             continue;
>           }
>
> So might it be an idea to introduce a variable that could be bound to
> avoid this part?

I'd prefer not to do it on such a low level.

I'd still would like to see a profile.  Here's the recipe:

  emacs -Q
  M-x load-file RET lisp/play/emoji.el RET
  M-x profiler-start RET RET

Then run the command you say is slow.  When it finishes, do this:

  M-x profiler-report RET

Then go to the first line in the profile that shows "+" at its
beginning and type "C-u RET".  This should expand the profile in its
entirety; post the result here.

Note that I specifically asked to load emoji.el, not .elc, because
that will make the profile more detailed.

Thanks.