Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Tweaking the output of `C-h b'
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:42:02 +0100

>> Shouldn't we have those standard triangles/arrows on which to click to
>> hide/unhide?
>
> Yes, that'd be nice.  Perhaps with a user option to toggle between
> classic "..." outlining and triangles?

Jonas's magit-section (available on NonGNU ELPA) more or less does
exactly that: on the GUI, add chevrons to the left fringe (right chevron
means "hit TAB to expand", down chevron means "hit TAB to fold back");
on the TUI, append ellipses to expandable sections.

It's not 100% feature-complete (IIRC it does not fall back to ellipses
on GUI when there's no fringe, and it has no mouse support), but FWIW
I'd love for outline(-minor)-mode to behave similarly.

(This might have been mentioned in the thread, but Juri recently
introduced describe-bindings-outline, which enables outline-minor-mode
in C-h b)