Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 12:48:12 +0100

Le samedi 30 octobre 2021, 08:51:37 CET Richard Stallman a écrit :

>   > > You can already start Emacs locally.  What's the actual point or
>   > > goal
>   > > here?
>   >
>   > you cannot from webpages,
>
> I can't imagine what it would mean to "start Emacs from a web page".
> Can you please explain concretely?  Please keep in mind that some of
> us have never seen it.

To me it would mean to have something written in the page’s source that
would trigger emacs to be launched, and possibly its window to be
displayed as part of the page (that is: without decoration or ability to
be moved, and it would scroll with the page’s content and wouldn’t be
displayed if the browser’s window’s not).

What I would imagine would be for instance <embed src="file.c" /> or
possibly with attributes specifying that we want to open it with emacs or
at line n (I’m sure standards exist for those, there is certainly some
anchor syntax for within github to point at a line, something like
file.c#l123).

> With a concrete picture of the practice in question, we could start to
> think about the practical and _moral_ implications of supporting that
> in Emacs.  How would it affect the development and use of the GNU
> system? How would it affect our fight against unjust computing?
>
> We could also think about how we would want to implement it, if we
> decide to try.
>
> The more closely and seamlessly Emacs becomes integrated with some
> other program's user interface, the more it undermines our goal of
> making users aware of GNU Emacs, and of the ethical goals that we
> develop GNU Emacs (and GNU as a whole) to promote.

Oh that’s a valid concern I didn’t thought about…

> That suggests that perhaps the best way to do this job is via
> emacsclient.

Indeed.

>   >   The issue is you can follow an hyperlink from emacs (or any
>   >
>   > software, for the matter) to the webbrowser, but more hardly from
>   > the
>   > webbrowser to some specific function of emacs
>
> I'm not sure how to understand the idea of invoking a "specific
> function of Emacs" from a browser.  Would you please give a couple of
> concrete examples?  Which functions of Emacs would you suggest we
> support imvoking in this way, and how would they be used in the
> scenario?

open at line, open with a certain mode enabled, open several files at once,
open an svg file either as an image or as source, etc.

the main one being “open at line”

>   >  yet these represent most of the usage of their
>   >
>   > computer from modern users.
>
> That is not necessarily a recommendation of it.  Quite the contrary:
> there are a lot of bad developments in modern computing.
> Most of the computing people do nowadays is for suckers.
> Surveillance companies have a lot of influence over what people
> do on the internet, and how they do it.

Yes of course.

> The question of when to go along, and how far, is sometimes
> obvious, and sometimes subtle.

As I said: I think the way I propose would be strictly in benefit of emacs
(it would drag people from the browser to emacs, which is going to be more
full-featured and faster anyway). It would also for users because it would
remove the need for javascript in certain cases that are going to
proliferate (people programming inside their browser), so they could avoid
it.