Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:53:13 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

From: Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:29:39 +1100
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org

I was trying to build emacs on a debian + guix system today. The debian is bare minimum, and guix is used as the main package manager.

Without `guix shell`, I got stuck at problem with gnutls:

> configure: error: The following required libraries were not > found:
>      gnutls
> Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?

The version of gnutls installed by guix in the system is 3.6.15.

It tells you to make sure you have all the development packages
installed, and I think it's the accurate advice. People build Emacs
with that version of GnuTLS without any problems.

I managed to resolve this by installing gnutls-dane.

With `guix shell --development emacs`, gnutls wasn't a problem, but I got stuck at segfault at bootstrap-emacs.pdmp:

> make[1]: *** [Makefile:858: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] > Segmentation > fault
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/foo/source/emacs/src'
> make: *** [Makefile:450: src] Error 2

If you want help in solving this problem, please submit a bug report with all the details, including at least the configure command and the
full log of the build from the configure step till the segfault.
config.log would also help.

This was resolved as in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg02216.html>
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg02247.html>.

Thanks.

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>