Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 16:01:20 +0000

The directionality characters would be highlighted, that's all (and it would be easy to add a toggle command to (un)highlight them on demand, see attached). This functionality is orthogonal to the one you propose AFAIU, both could coexist.

It could, but I don't think we should install such features.

Why not? Is this not simply an improved (and built-in) version of your initial suggestion to use glyphless-char-display? Except that glyphless-char-display is global (whereas buffer-display-table is buffer-local), and that a tofu is not as visible as a character highlighted with the font-lock-warning-face.

Here's an improved patch which also highlights these characters in strings and comments.