Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode confusables and reordering characters considered harmful, a simple solution
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 21:08:15 +0200

> Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 13:20:43 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: cpitclaudel@gmail.com, stefan@marxist.se, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com,
>  db48x@db48x.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Anyway, I think it is time to abandon all hope.
>
> It would be a shame if we abandoned all hope to solve this issue in a
> good way.  I, for one, don't abandon hope in this matter.  Making
> glyphless-char-display-control support buffer-local customizations is
> one way of working on solving the issue better than by displaying
> arbitrary glyphs instead of them.  bidi-find-overridden-directionality
> will be extended soon to find the problematic text in the examples
> from that paper.

Now done on master.  I also added a simple command that finds and
highlights all the problematic stretches of text in a buffer.  Testing
is welcome.

I hope someone will be interested enough to write a minor mode that
detects such text automatically, perhaps by registering a function
with jit-lock and looking at the chunk of text to be displayed next.