Re: Ligature support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Ligature support
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 21:14:32 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:13:56 +0100
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> Thing is you sometimes want the ligature and sometimes you don't.
> In languages which tend to slap words together, making a ligature
> across the word junction (morpheme boundary) actually hinders
> legibility. English has those too: the 'fl' in chiefly, the 'ff'
> in shelfful, you get the idea.
>
> I wonder whether the HarfBuzz engine takes that into consideration;
> it would have to know (or guess?) the language it is treating.

We do pass the language to HarfBuzz when we think we know it, but the
problem is Emacs itself has no good notion of the "current language".
Such a notion is problematic in a multilingual editor such as Emacs.
It is something we still need to figure out, and after that implement
the necessary infrastructure.  What we have now is rudimentary and
very insufficient.