Re: `M-x yank-media'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: `M-x yank-media'
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:12:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This new command doesn't seem to work for me on MS-Windows: I get this
> message:
>
>   user-error: No handler in the current buffer for anything on the clipboard
>
> The documentation doesn't seem to hint that something non-trivial is
> needed for this to work.

I haven't tried this on Windows at all -- I have no idea what the
clipboard stuff looks like over there.  (Or on Macos, but I had planned
on exploring that.)

> Also, should this be bound to a key?  Perhaps even C-y?

There are so few modes that support media yanking that it's premature to
put it on any key, I think.  And certainly not on `C-y' -- that would
break all sorts of things, I think.  (People marking text in a web
browser and hitting `C-y' in a html-mode buffer still expect to get just
the plain text, while `yank-media' will give them more options, like
text/html.)