Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: scratch/emoji vs emacs that maybe canʼt display emojis
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 06:37:06 -0500

  > I like the plan, but surely there must be a way to also involve a
  > service from Google here somehow, so that we can get special
  > personalised ad emojis, too.

It's not acceptable to make Emacs depend on a network service in order
to do its job.  It must be able to work on a computer with no net
connention -- not only so that it works for you when you don't have a
net connection, but also so that users have full control over its
behavior.

In the specific case of Google, its dis-services are likely to have
unjust requirements in their terms and conditions.  If so, it would
be wrong for us to suggest that users accept those conditions.
We will not do that.

The only acceptable way to do this is to write or find free code to do
the job, and include that in or with Emacs.