Re: WebKit plugins?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: WebKit plugins?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:33:35 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The use of plug-ins in xwidget can raise important legal and ethical
> issues.  Can you please help us find out what legal and ethical issues
> it raises?

That's why I was asking: I don't know what plugins are, and the
implications of using them.  And more importantly, why they are only
available on a non-free system.

> For instance, does it load plug-ins?  If so, can you describe where
> these plug-ins come from?  Would they be written specifically to
> function in Emacs?  Or is there a large library of existing plug-ins
> that were not written for Emacs?

I assume they are web plugins, such as Lightspark or Gnash.

> Are all of the plug-ins free software?

No, AFAIU.  The other problem is that these plug-ins are not available
on free systems, and I want to find out why.

> Is any of then a web-browser?

I can't think of one, but it would certainly be possible.