Re: [External] : New key binding syntax

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [External] : New key binding syntax
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:53:45 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > 7. I'm in favor of letting `kbd' and Help descriptions
>   > drop the use of angle brackets altogether.
>
> I agree that that would be good -- provided no ambiguity results.
> Does anyone see a concrete problem with this?

My problem is not technical but social: we are used to seeing M-<return>
so it might be jarring to suddenly see M-return.  Isn't the latter also
harder to read?

PS. Of course, if we cared deeply about readability we would write instead:

        Alt + Return

    But even me, a radical, hesitate to propose such far-reaching changes.
    But in the abstract I think it would be both desirable and TRT.