RE: [External] : New key binding syntax

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : New key binding syntax
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:24:39 +0000

> >   > 7. I'm in favor of letting `kbd' and Help descriptions
> >   > drop the use of angle brackets altogether.
> >
> > I agree that that would be good -- provided no ambiguity results.
> > Does anyone see a concrete problem with this?
>
> My problem is not technical but social: we are used to seeing M-<return>
> so it might be jarring to suddenly see M-return.  Isn't the latter also
> harder to read?
>
> PS. Of course, if we cared deeply about readability we would write instead:
>
>         Alt + Return
>
> But even me, a radical, hesitate to propose such far-reaching changes.
> But in the abstract I think it would be both desirable and TRT.

(Thanks for considering this.)

It's simple to support both with and without angle
brackets, as I mentioned.

Of course, at least in what I've done, the choice
is made by whoever is coding the use of (calls to)
the function accepting the key-description syntax
(function `naked' in my case; function `kbd' or
`key' or whatever, if this gets done in Emacs itself.

It might additionally be possible and helpful to
let users themselves make such a choice.  Dunno.

Personally, I'd expect movement away from bothering
with angle brackets, as just extra noise.  But for
now, at least, there's no reason not to support use
of both with and without brackets.  Letting users
control which syntax they see (e.g. in *Help*) might
be more trouble than it would be worth.