Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Problem with some new emoji in Emacs
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 23:49:35 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-11-13 23:17]:
> > Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 22:43:41 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > I am delighted with the new built in feature of emoji.
> >
> > Until now I have always used `emojify-mode' which worked well.
> >
> > I am encountering a disturbing problem, this could be some error,
> > maybe not. I cannot know.
> >
> > Here is the screen with new emoji feature:
> > https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-13/Screenshot-2021-11-13-22:33:19.png
> >
> > When I turn on the emojify-mode then I get this problem here:
> > https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-13/Screenshot-2021-11-13-22:33:36.png
> >
> > and I will try to insert it here:
> >      3 🗂️ ║ Central Files
> >      10  🖍️
> >

> Looks like emojify-mode is incompatible with Emacs 28 and later
> display of Emoji.  It uses static compositions, whereas the built-in
> Emoji support uses automatic compositions, which is a different
> feature.  Does emojify-mode support Variation Selectors?  That's what
> gives birth to those squares you see on the second screenshot.

It may be, I cannot know about it. I will inform also Iqbal, who is
author of it.

;; Author: Iqbal Ansari

> Why do you need emojify-mode?  What does it do that Emacs cannot do
> without it?

To get emoji working as in emojify mode, I had to replace some of
them. This new emoji mode in Emacs did not support everything to what
I was used to in emojify mode, so I had to replace some symbols
looking similar to each other but being different, or I have to drop
using them. Example is HEAVY CHECK MARK ✔ which appears larger and
more significant in emojify mode.

When I use describe-char I can see that ✔ and ✔️ are same now on my
screen but they don't activate, so the first one I see smaller, second
one emojified.

This is because I use C-x 8 RET HEAVY CHECK MARK to inser the first
one.

In emojify-mode when I insert the char, it becomes automatically
recognized. In this new feature I have to use different C-X 8 e i
notion to insert it.

I have closed this file, opened it again, and again I see difference
between ✔ and ✔️ here visually, but describe-char tells me about
different fonts used.

Thus largest difference is that emojify-mode is automatic. And I
cannot understand why is this char not recognized in new feature of
Emacs, though it tells it is same char.

Screenshot:
https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2021-11-13/Screenshot-2021-11-13-23:49:09.png

First one being:

             position: 2201 of 3363 (65%), column: 8
            character: ✔ (displayed as ✔) (codepoint 10004, #o23424, #x2714)
              charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x2714
               script: symbol
               syntax: w        which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 2714" or "C-x 8 RET HEAVY CHECK MARK"
          buffer code: #xE2 #x9C #x94
            file code: #xE2 #x9C #x94 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code):
    ftcrhb:-PfEd-DejaVu Sans
Mono-medium-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#xAFC)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: HEAVY CHECK MARK
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (10004) ('✔')

There are text properties here:
  fontified            t
  pabbrev-added        t

[back]

and second

             position: 2207 of 2285 (97%), column: 14
            character: ✔ (displayed as ✔) (codepoint 10004, #o23424, #x2714)
              charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x2714
               script: symbol
               syntax: w        which means: word
             category: .:Base
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 2714" or "C-x 8 RET HEAVY CHECK MARK"
          buffer code: #xE2 #x9C #x94
            file code: #xE2 #x9C #x94 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: composed to form "✔️" (see below)

Composed with the following character(s) "️" using this font:
  ftcrhb:-GOOG-Noto Color Emoji-medium-normal-normal-*-18-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
by these glyphs:
  [0 1 10004 152 22 0 23 17 5 nil]
with these character(s):
  ️ (#xfe0f) VARIATION SELECTOR-16

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: HEAVY CHECK MARK
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
  decomposition: (10004) ('✔')

There are text properties here: