Re: Round-tripping key definitions

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Round-tripping key definitions
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:33:50 +1300

On 2021-11-14 04:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Lars Ingebrigtsen [2021-11-13 15:50:16] wrote:
FWIW, I think the TAB/C-i, RET/C-m, ESC/C-[, DEL/C-? confusion should
be fixed by really decoupling the two.
I thought I remembered somebody saying that that wasn't really feasible
(at least not on terminals)?  If it is, that'd be fantastic.

And you believed that somebody?

That somebody could have been me.  My understanding has always been that
a terminal will send ASCII char 9 when you type either the TAB key or C-i
(and similarly for the other special cases).

In GUI environments I'm sure the combination of the Ctrl key and "i"
can be recognised independently; but how could that work in terminals?

Or are you suggesting that an explicit binding for "C-i" would cease
to have *any* effect in a terminal, just like bindings for "<tab>"
won't have any effect, because Emacs would no longer recognise ASCII 9
as being "C-i"?  <tab>, C-i, and TAB would be three different things?

-Phil