Re: Ligature support

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Ligature support
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:19:37 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > This package (and it's helpers) adds a bunch of icons to emacs in various
>   > contexts (mode-line, dired, completions, etc.). It gets those icons from
>   > several fonts (currently: the file icons from the Atom editor, the
>   > FontAwesome icons, the GitHub "Octicons", Google's Material Design icons,
>   > and a set of weather icons maintained by a group on github).
>
> 1. Are all these fonts free, without exceptions?

Yes.

> 2. How many fonts are involved?

Six, AFAICT:

- Atom File Icons Plugin  MIT LICENSE
- FontAwesome Icons       SIL OFL LICENSE
- GitHub OctIcons         SIL OFL LICENSE
- Weather Icons           SIL OFL LICENSE
- Material Icons          APACHE LICENSE v2.0
- Custom Made Font        MIT LICENSE

> 3. Is it any practical problem to use that many fonts?
> Would there be an advantage to repacking the icons that are useful in Emacs
> into one font?  Do the licenses of these fonts permit that?

The fonts are just packaged up SVG image files from the above named icon
sets (e.g. Material Icons).  The idea with icons.el that I'm working on
is to skip the fonts and distribute the SVG files directly.