Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: could matlab-mode be in ELPA or the GNU emacs tree (like auctex and org-mode)?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:42:18 +0000

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> However, before addressing this problem, I would like to know:
>
> Could matlab-mode become part of ELPA or even could dwell in the GNU
> emacs tree?

If the CA situation is solved, there shouldn't be an issue with adding
the package to GNU ELPA (and later perhaps GNU Emacs), but...

> I know that matlab is a commercial product and its license is not
> compatible with the GPL, but the same could be said about MS Windows OS
> and MacOS and yet GNU Emacs support these OSs.

my understanding is that the GNU Project doesn't want to refer to
propitiatory software and/or incentivise it's users to use non-free
software.  With Mathlab, there is the additional issue that GNU Octave
exists.

--
        Philip Kaludercic