Re: Tick Reduction

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 16:11:47 +0100

> And...  I think that also fixes the issue with "--" changing to "**"?
> That is, we'd have something like:
>
> (defvar-local mode-line-mule-info
>   `(""
>     (:min-space 5
>      (current-input-method
>       (:propertize ("" current-input-method-title)

Or rather -- what we want here is really to make each glyph behave as it
came from a monospaced font?  That is it, should (at least) have the
"normal character width".  Which is kinda also what was discussed in the
thread about CJK characters: That there should be a way to specify that
glyphs should have a width that's an integer multiple of the normal
character width.  (So it's not the same, but if we introduce this, we
might keep that in mind.)

But in this context, it might mean that we introduce a mode line
construct like:

(defvar-local mode-line-mule-info
  `(""
    (:monospace
     (current-input-method
      (:propertize ("" current-input-method-title)

or a text property like

(defvar-local mode-line-mule-info
  `(""
    (current-input-method
     (:propertize ("" current-input-method-title)
                  :monospace t/1

and the display machinery would then add some empty pixels after the
glyph if it's narrower than the normal character width.  I think the
text property makes more sense, because then we could use it generally
in Emacs, not just the mode line.