Re: Tick Reduction

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tick Reduction
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:19:02 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:49:38 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, stefankangas@gmail.com, dgutov@yandex.ru
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The value of 'display' property can be either a single spec, or a list
> > or vector of specs.  Thus, adding should be trivial: either add
> > another list member or produce a new vector with one more element.  Do
> > you think this justifies a dedicated API?
>
> To add a `max-width' to a series of characters, it first has to see
> whether there's any other bits with a `display' property.

It does? why is that?

> Then if it finds sequences of characters like that, it has to see
> whether there's only one spec, and then to transform it to a list,
> and if not, it just has to append.

We do that every day in Lisp programs.

> And do this efficiently, so that we don't get a bunch of short lists
> when there's different overlapping regions with `display'.

You cannot have overlapping regions with different values of the
'display' property (or of any other text property), so I'm not sure
what are you alluding to here.

> So, yes, I think this deserves a function.

I'm still not convinced.  But if we will do this all over the place,
maybe we should have a function.