Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Proportional fonts in the mode line (one month test)
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:28:29 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> There must be a better way to achieve this than modifying the
> `mode-line' face.  We could probably set the face separately for
> individual parts of `mode-line-format'.
>
> Many external packages depend on a fixed pitch `mode-line' face.  It
> would be good to not change this default.

Well, that's up to the package authors to decide.

> Also, please don't change the header line as well.  For instance, the
> header line in calc that reads "---- Emacs Calculator Mode ----" is now
> totally broken.

Right, like Juri said:

(defface header-line
  '((default
     :inherit mode-line)

I wasn't aware of that, and I think the right fix here is to remove this
inheritance -- I don't see any good reason to have this coupling between
the mode line and the header lines.  Any opinions?

>> This is just a test: If everybody hates this default, we won't
>> proceed,
>
> This wording is shocking!  Does it mean that we will proceed with this
> default if even one person likes it?

Sometimes you don't have to use predicate logic on natural language.

So: No.