Re: Variable pitch text filling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch text filling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 18:22:38 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:10:00 +0100
>
> > Since we will have spaces in the text from the filling, we could use
> > the :width display spec on those space characters.  There should be no
> > need for min-width.
>
> Yes, if we're distributing the extra space on the space characters only,
> we can use space specs.  But usually typesetters don't do that -- they
> also distribute some of the space between other characters, too, to get
> a more even "greyness".  (Or whatever they call it -- it's been a few
> years since I read up on typography last time.)

You mean, add space inside of a word?  That could at first be avoided,
because doing that isn't trivial.  I'm not sure min-width is the right
implementation for that, because we don't really want to put a
separate property on each character.  This should probably be
implemented by tweaking the advance width the glyphs or something.