Re: Support for explicitly resetting the idle timer?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Support for explicitly resetting the idle timer?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 12:54:19 +0200

> From: Campbell Barton <ideasman42@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:21:29 +1100
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

> > > There is a while loop that uses  (read-event) inside a `(track-mouse
> > > ...)` block that changes the scroll location and redraws.
> >
> > But that while loop is invoked by some binding of some mouse gesture,
> > no?  That binding _is_ the "command" I meant.
>
> Ah, right. There is an interactive function bound to a key which runs
> track-mouse ... etc.

So now I wonder how come the idle timers run for you.  Perhaps the
command you mention activates track-mouse and exits?

> Arguments could be made against this:
>
> - This could break existing packages that use long running commands
> and expect the idle timer to run.

While a command's code runs, idle timers cannot run, because timers
only run when Emacs is in its idle loop, waiting for some input.
Emacs only gets to the idle loop after a command exits and there's no
further input waiting for processing.