Re: GStreamer xwidget

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GStreamer xwidget
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:12:24 -0500

  > In GStreamer, the plugin used for that is the playbin plugin.  I refuse
  > to use that plugin and will instead write individual pipelines for
  > common playback formats, as the playbin likes to load arbitrary plugins
  > with no regard for whether or not they are free software.

This sounds like the right approach, basically.

But I have a couple of ideas to suggest, to reduce the work.

1. Does playbin offer any hooks for the calling program to judge the plug-ins
it wants to load, and say "That plug-in is ok" or "That plug-in is no good"?
If it does, using them would be simpler and less work.

2. If playbin does not offer such a hook, we could patch playbin
to offer a suitable hook.  Maybe we could get that patch upstreamed.

3. We could make a copy of the code for playbin under another name,
and add those hooks to it.  We coulod link it staticly with Emacs.

WDYT?