Re: [External] : Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Allowing point to be outside the window?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:49:06 -0800

> Perhaps all (well, most) commands should be disabled in this case?
> I.e., all commands do nothing except display point?

Why?  We don't do anything like that when mark is not in the window.

The benefit of this feature for me would be to be able to look around
and then immediately edit where I left point/mark, as I can do in other
text editors.

> It's not what (say) Libreoffice does, though -- if you've marked some
> text, scroll away with the scroll bar, and then hit DEL, it'll delete
> the marked text...

AFAIK, pretty much all graphical text editor and word processors behaves
like LibreOffice in this regard.  Maybe there are some exceptions, but I
can't think of any.