Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:55:17 -0800

> FWIW, I can't remember the last time I looked at a ChangeLog file.

Indeed, I also never look at them.

> OTOH, I would really appreciate if people could be careful to always
> include some kind of file information on the first line of their commit.
> Too often I see commits whose first line doesn't unambiguously indicate
> which part of Emacs's code is changed.

In the past I often used the format

    Fix foo in image-dired.el

Recently, I've made some changes to image-dired.el where I instead used
the format

    image-dired: Fix foo

I quite like this format, as it is both easy to read and immediately
obvious what it's about.

Maybe it would make sense to start encouraging some more standardized
format for the first line of commit messages?  This seems like something
that was probably discussed in the past (before I was following
emacs-devel), so apologies in advance if I'm just beating a dead horse.